Crispy on the outside and cheesy on the inside, this sizzling skillet fonio galette is so satisfying for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The variations are endless: add sautéed veggies like onions + zucchini, top with a fried egg, or sub in vegan butter and cheese to make dairy-free. Consider it a melt-in-your-mouth option for Meatless Mondays!
Sizzling Fonio Cheese Galette
makes one 8-inch galette (vegetarian, gluten free)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup thinly sliced shallots
1 ½ cups dry fonio
2 cups vegetable broth
Salt + pepper
4 large eggs
10 ounces (~2 cups) shredded Gruyère cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the shallots and cook over high heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the fonio and continuously stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and a pinch of salt, bring to boil, then cover, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Fluff the fonio mixture with a fork and transfer to a bowl to allow to cool until room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the eggs and cheese in the fonio mixture, and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and the olive oil over medium heat.
- Spread the fonio mixture evenly in the skillet. Dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes.
- Place the skillet in the oven and broil for about 5-8 minutes, until golden and sizzling on top.
- Take out of the oven and invert the galette onto a large plate. Cut into wedges and serve.