I love this fonio salad’s combination of sweet, tangy, juicy, sharp, and aromatic. Perfect in warm weather.
Fonio Mango Salad
(adapted from Senegal: Modern Senegalese Recipes from the Source to the Bowl, by Pierre Thiam)
- One 10 oz package Yolélé fonio, cooked and cooled
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper or hot pepper to taste
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced mango
- ½ cup diced peeled cucumber
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- ½ cup finely chopped mint
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- While fonio is cooling, prepare a dressing: Whisk together the lemon, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Slowly pout in the olive oil and keep whisking to emulsify.
- Combine the cooked and cooled fonio with all of the other ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss, adjust seasoning to taste, and serve immediately.