Kimchi Fried Fonio
- Gluten Free
- 3 cups cooked, cooled fonio
- 1 cup roughly chopped kimchi (6 ounces) Add kimchi juice to taste for more flavor
- Half onion, medium size, diced
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh garlic
- Chopped scallions to taste for garnish
- 1 tsp of fresh herbs, cilantro and/or basil
- 1 tsp of olive or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 tsp sesame oil, or to taste
- 4 eggs
For the fonio
- In a small saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, stir a tsp of any oil into 1/2 cup of fonio until grains are coated and not clumping.
- Add salt (1/2 tsp) and 1 cup water and stir well. Bring to a boil, then cover, remove from heat, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff gently with a fork or by running the thin edge of a spoon back and forth.
Kimchee Fried Fonio
- In a cast-iron skillet, add olive oil to medium-low heat, and add onions, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stir until onions become fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add kimchi (and juice for more flavor), stir about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked fonio and stir until fonio absorbs the kimchee juice, about 3 minutes. Add soy sauce and sesame oil, stir, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer Kimchee Fried Fonio to bowls, re-use pan, add coconut oil and fry eggs.
- Serve Kimchee Fried Fonio with fried eggs on top, and add chopped scallions and fresh herbs