- Kimchi Fried Fonio
- Gluten Free
- 3 cups cooked and cooled fonio
- 1 cup roughly chopped kimchi (6 ounces) plus extra kimchi juice to taste
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped or grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 handful torn or roughly chopped cilantro and/or basil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil plus more
- 2 teaspoons tamari or gluten-free soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, or to taste
- 4 eggs
In a small saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, stir a tsp of oil into 1/2 cup of fonio until grains are coated and not clumping. Add 1 cup water and stir well. Bring to a boil, add salt and stir, then cover, remove from heat, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Fluff gently with a fork while still warm.
For Kimchee Fried Fonio
In a medium pan, heat oil on medium-low, and add onions, garlic, and ginger.
Cook, stir until onions become fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add kimchi and continue to stir about 5 minutes, adding reserved liquid towards the end.
Turn heat to medium-high, add cooked fonio and stir until fonio absorbs the liquid, about 3 minutes.
Add soy sauce and sesame oil, and mix well, stirring about 2 minutes more.
Transfer Kimchee Fried Fonio to bowls, re-use pan, add more oil and fry eggs over medium heat.
Top bowls with fried eggs, scallions, and herbs. Serve immediately!