Never again will you bake brownies from a box; this recipe belongs in your baking repertoire! They’re easy to whip up and everything you want in a brownie: dense and chewy, with a super fudgy crumb.
We recommend using a combination of smooth dark chocolates + a robust vanilla extract by heirloom cocoa + vanilla company, Madécasse. Alternatively, use your favorite 70% + dark chocolate and pure vanilla extract.
Our suggestion for serving: pile high on a plate (we guarantee you’ll want more than one) and enjoy with a cool glass of milk.
Dark Chocolate Fonio Brownies
makes 16 brownies (gluten-free)
½ teaspoon olive oil
½ cup dry fonio
1 cup plus
¾ teaspoon salt
2 ½ ounces 92% Pure Madécasse Chocolate, finely chopped
4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
2-3 tablespoons oil (corn, canola, vegetable, or coconut)
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons Madécasse pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups sugar
½-¾ cup sorghum flour
6 ounces 80% Pure Madécasse Chocolate, chopped into ¼ “ chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
Preparea 12” baking dish by greasing it with neutral oil or butter.
- Cook fonio: In a pot with a fitted lid, coat cup fonio well with a teaspoon oil. Turn heat to high, add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Add salt and stir. Cover and turn to low heat for 1 minute. Off heat, keep covered and let rest for 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and whisk in 92% dark chocolate so it melts. If the mixture seems dry and pasty, add up to a ¼ cup of water.
- Transfer mixture into a large mixing bowl. Whisk in butter, oil, egg, egg yolks, and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar + sorghum flour. Add to wet ingredients and mix well. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish and bake 30-38 minutes, until a fork comes out clean. Allow
to coolfor ten minutes.