Our fluffy fonio pilaf takes on vibrancy and flavor from curry spices and cooks faster than rice. Vegan, gluten-free, and topped with fresh herbs and pomegranate jewels.
Curried Fonio Pilaf
serves 6 (vegan, gluten free)
2 cups diced onions (small, ¼-½ in)
2 cups diced sweet potatoes (¼-½ inch), about 1 large potato
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons curry powder
1 ½ tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 can chickpeas (rinsed + strained)
4 cups cooked Yolélé fonio
1 cup pomegranate seeds
1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 bunch mint, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
- In a large saucepan, heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, sweet potato, salt, and mix well.
- Add curry powder and stir, about 8 minutes (do not let onions burn).
- Turn heat to medium-low, and add ginger and chickpeas. Mix well.
- Add more oil if the mixture seems dry, and continue to cook for 2-4 minutes
- Gently fold in cooked fonio, take the mixture off the heat and transfer to a bowl. Allow
- Before serving, mix in pomegranate seeds, lemon juice, and chopped herbs.