We present to you, in collaboration with our friends Maya Kaimal Foods: Fonio + Everyday Dal Crackers! These easy-to-make crackers are packed with plant-based protein, fiber, and good fats. The nuttiness of Yolélé fonio complements the savory and tartness of kidney bean + carrot + tamarind Everyday Dal. Use them as a dip for hummus, the “toast” for avocados, or simply eat them as is. Make a big batch and keep in airtight containers for a nutritious snack on the go (or the trappings of a not-sad-desk-lunch).
Fonio Everyday Dal Crackers
(vegan, gluten free)
1 pouch (10oz) Maya Kaimal Everyday Dal: kidney bean + carrot + tamarind
4 cups cooked fonio
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
Salt + pepper to taste
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Blend dal, fonio, flaxseed meal in a blender until smooth.
- Pour mixture onto the baking sheet and smooth out with a spatula.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until crispy, rotating the sheet midway to ensure an even bake.
- Sprinkle with yeast right out of the oven, and allow to cool in pan before breaking into cracker-sized pieces.