Our Fonio Veggie Sliders are a vegan, gluten free, and plant-based alternative to your traditional burger. Think of them as a cousin to falafel, but with an Indian twist, thanks to Maya Kaimal Foods Everyday Dal with tomato, black lentil, and cumin.
Fonio Veggie Sliders
serves 6-8 (vegetarian, gluten free)
½ cup Maya Kaimal Foods Everyday Dal: black lentil + tomato + cumin
1 ½ cups cooked Yolélé fonio
2 ½ tablespoons flaxseed meal
1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato (homemade or canned)
Salt + pepper
Vegetable or canola oil for frying
Burger buns or lettuce wraps
Any toppings you like: sliced onion, tomato, pickles, sprouts, cheese, avocado, mayo, etc.
- In a large bowl combine dal, cooked fonio, flaxseed meal, cooked sweet potato, and salt + pepper.
- Mix until well combined, then cover and let rest in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Take the mixture out of the fridge and form six 2-3 inch wide patties in your hands, setting aside on a plate.
- In a large pan, heat oil on medium-high until hot and cook the patties for 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and a little crispy.
- Compose burgers however you like (we love these with kimchi + mayo + herbs) and serve!